Roleplex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplex is a place to make stories and collaborate with other writers in new ways of writing

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Pride Days (IC): Hurt

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
Derkal
Transvestite Administrator
Derkal

The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 am

"Greeting, Zanita. Do not worry, this is not an attack. Late last night, near dawn actually... One of our own was killed. His body was nowhere to be found at the sight and we tracked a trail of blood and a fresh scent to this very location. Have you seen a long male lion anywhere? Dead I presume" said Taru. He glanced over and saw a large body laying by a tree, but he thought it was a rock or something. He didn't pay much attention or get a good look at it. He did not show any signs of aggression, but needed an answer.
Back to top Go down
http://darklord979.deviantart.com/
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:02 am

Zanita's ears pricked up. These lions must be from Jali's pride, who else would they have come searching for? She gave a few high-pitched whoops, which were a hyena's form of laughter. A few others also whooped, relieved. If Zanita was laughing, then that was a sign that everything would be okay. Eventually, the whooping subsided, and Zanita began to speak, "Your prince is not dead, sir. Despite all odds, he escaped from the crocodiles. He was found by an old friend of mine, a jackal, and brought here, because he had done me a kindness. Once he was here, we gave him treatment for his wounds. We wished to tell you, but we feared being mistaken for a threat. He is resting over there," She gestured with her snout to a spot beneath a thick shrub a distance away. "You may feel free to speak with him, but please, do not blame him for not returning to you immediately. His wounds were deep, and his leg and shoulder are broken. I did not feel it was in his best interest to travel just yet. His bones must mend properly, if he is to walk again."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:13 am

Taru's mouth dropped open and his eyes widened to their full extent. The other lionesses shared the same expression. He with so much hurry in his body, skidded to a hault next to the body laying flat on the ground beneath the tree.

"Brother!" Taru said as he saw Jali laying there. Jali looked up with weak eyes that widened. "Taru!" he said. "Jali, I am so glad you are alive! Everyone thought you were dead! What happened?"

"Saber pushed me over the cliff to be fed to the crocodiles. He's been feeding our warriors to his pets!" he said. "Has anything happened since I was gone concerning him?"

Taru smiled. "He is dead" said the lion. Jali's eyes widened as much more as they could. "He is dead? How?"

"I killed him. There was a battle. We lost many, and father is on his death bed. Saber cut him so deep in the chest that we think it's incurable. It's right above his heart" said Taru. Jali's eyes began to flood with tears, but he kept them back in his skull at all costs. However Taru was not so bold, he let a few pop out from his eyes.

"What about Sira?" asked Jali. "She's fine. She killed Nara herself" said Taru. "You should be extremely proud of her"

"I am" said Jali. "I always have been. I have always been proud of you as well, my brother. But today, I feel an urge to be the most proud of the both of you that I have ever been..."

Taru smiled and turned back to Zanita. "Would he be well enough for us to carry him back home? His father, King Star, is dying and I would like to two to meet before they part forever" the lion said as a wind blew by and brushed up his black mane.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:36 am

Zanita seemed to think for a moment, before nodding, "Yes, if you carry him, then he can probably return home. You are tall enough to carry him without dragging any part of him on the ground, like hyenas and jackals might. However, if he stays with you, be cautious not to let the cobwebs be pulled from his wounds unintentionally, and change them if they should begin to smell sour, like infection. You must also, most of all, not let his legs drag on the ground. If you do, you may worsen the broken shoulder and leg. Scars will not hinder him, but if the bones do not set properly, then he may never walk again, or he will forever possess a limp. I am concerned with making sure that when he recovers, he can still run just as well as any other lion."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:40 am

Taru nodded. "I'll make sure he's taken care of, and as soon as he's seen his father he will go to our medical lioness. He gave an approving nod to the lionesses and they quickly came to the prince's side and lifted him onto their backs. "Thank you so much. Our pride is forever in your dept, I cannot begin to tell you what an amazing favor you've done for us. Thank you, again" he said.

The lionesses began to take him out of the entrance of the camp. Taru stood and watched before giving one last look at Zanita.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:06 am

Zanita nodded at Taru, "Take care, my friends." Her ears suddenly pricked up, and she looked over at something in the distance that only hyenas could hear. "...That's...odd...what's an Ostrich doing here in hyena territory?" She looked over at a group of hyenas, "You three, come with me, there's something strange, an Ostrich has entered our territory, and it seems to be alone. There isn't a flock. Let's go investigate." With this, they left the clearing in a different direction.
Back to top Go down
JunkMail
Murderator
JunkMail

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 3:23 am

"IT WOULD SEEM SO..." Gustave said, his head rising from the water to face Scar. His massive body rose to the surface showing the knobby armored hide. "I DO NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT HAS HAPPENED, BUT I DO KNOW THAT YOU HAVE LOST, AND THAT SABER IS DEAD." Gustave said, raising his head to meet Scar eye to eye.

"BUT WHAT WILL YOU DO NOW?" Gustave said, his voice almost gleeful to be mocking the hyena. "YOU ABANDONED YOUR PACK, SURELY THEY WONT WANT YOU AROUND, YOU ALLOWED YOUR LEADER AND MATE TO BE KILLED, THAT WONT LOOK GOOD..." Gustave began, "AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, YOU DIDNT USE YOUR ALLIES TO YOUR ADVANTAGE... SABER LIED TO ME ABOUT BEING AN EXPERIENCED FIGHTER, AND I WAS RIGHT THAT HE WAS A FOOL... BUT WHO SHOULD I TAKE MY ANGER OUT ON? SABER IS DEAD AND ONLY HIS MATE REMAINS..." Gustave said, that gleeful tune to his voice still painfully present. "I'D SHED MY CROCODILE TEARS IF HE DIDNT DESERVE WHAT HE GOT..."
Back to top Go down
http://www.roleplex.com
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Scar felt a bit of agreement with the crocodile at first, but at the mocking of Saber her smile turned into a scowl. Grimacing at the croc, she stood up on the rock. "You never saw him when he was younger and more powerful! Had he not been so old and aged, he would have won! I've seen him take out entire packs of hyenas by himself! I've seen him kill so many enemy lions that the number is immeasurable!" she began.

"I don't know about you, but I must do the only thing I can. I must leave to the savannah and join another clan, it is the only way..."

--------------------------------------------------------

After Taru gave his final farewell to Zanita, the pack began for home. After an hour, maybe a little more, they finally made it back to the camp. They met with the warriors that were coming from the other direction, from the direction of the battle.
"The remaining enemy warriors ran off into the woods. I assume they'll all be rogues or join other clans and prides. Nothing to worry about, there were only a few" said one of the leading lions to Taru. "It is good to see that the prince survived. I have word that Sira and a few other lionesses have brought back Star."

Once they reached the middle of the camp, they found Sira sitting next to Star. She overlooked he who was sitting on the ground, bleeding. The medical lioness stood examining him. She shook her head and turned around, tears coming from her eyes.
The lionesses sat Jali next to his father. At the sight Star's eyes widened with great surprise. He wanted to come up and greet Jali but his pain subdued him. Jali instead crawled up as much as he could, with some assistance from Taru.

"Father" Jali said. "Jali! I-I-I thought y-you were d-dead-d-d!" Star said. Jali smiled, his eyes were in tears. "I'm alright father, I heard that Saber is dead" said Jali. "Thanks to your brave and courageous brother and you. Taru killed him, and without you're disappearance it never would have happened..."
Jali suddenly felt as though it was his fault, had he not been so foolish as to get so close to the edge of the cliff and be reported dead, he may never have had to lose his father...

"Daddy!" shouted a voice in the fields. A small animal with a sandy pelt brushed over the high grasses. A lion standing by a small creek and drinking from the water turned to see the cub come up and jump onto his back. Star fell over playfully and laughed with his boy. The little cub pretended to bite Star. They were having some sort of play-fight, a lion cub's role play game. Star was the hyena and Jali was the proud lion warrior.

They both began to roll violently into the creek. Star laughed. "Easy now" he said and laughed even more. They both stood up and eased out from the creek. Jali's lightly colored head peered over the horizon. He spotted an object or two in the distance.

"Daddy! There's Gazelle over there!" he said. Star's head came up from the grass. He smiled. "Well, let's go hunt them Jali!" he said. He crouched down on the grass and quietly snuck through the grasses. Jali was right by his side. Star smiled.

After a few moments of being hushed in a quick silence, Star sprung out and caught the Gazelle as it began to run, pulling it rump down onto the ground and biting its neck. That day the two had a great feast, a father and son moment the both remembered. It was far before Taru and Jali remembered it like it was yesterday.

"Daddy, some day will I hunt Gazelle?" asked the cub.
"Of course!" Star said with a laugh. "You'll hunt Gazelle and Wildebeest, you'll hunt hyenas and ostriches, zebras, buffalo, and even giraffes one day, Jali. One day, one day you'll be a king!"

"Really?" Jali said, jumping up with excitement. His mouth was a bit bloody from the carcass that sat before them, but neither minded.
"Yes, I promise, my son" Star said with a kind smile and looking off into the horizon in which the sun was now setting and casting a scarlet blanket over the skies and the clouds were pink with evening. A breeze was in the air, and all was at peace...

--------------------------------

Jali remembered the moment like it was only yesterday. He nudged his father on the nose and licked the side of his face. Star leaned up and did the same on Jali's. "I love you my son, I love you" he said.
Jali's eyes spurted tears. He had heeded the words of Zanita, he did not want to be seen like a crying little kitten, but this was too much even for him. Sira stood next to him and licked the side of his neck and face. Tears were in her eyes. To cover her crying she laid her face in the bend of his shoulder and neck. Jali just kept staring at his father.

"I love you too, dad" said Jali. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you..."

"It's not your fault. I love... you... goodbye... my son..." Star said and he closed his eyes and finally breathed his last....

The lionesses around them all also broke out in tears and ran to their mates for comfort. Star was gone, he had joined the spirits and had parted their world forever...

----------------------------

Moral walked down the hill and stood atop a rock. His pelt seemed to shine in the sunlight of evening. His crimson cheetah eyes scanned the horizon. He was a king cheetah and the leader of his small clan. He had a huge clump of really long hair, almost as if a mane, on the back of his neck and shoulders. Two females came up and laid down on the grass next to him. One cub had followed as well.

"I heard that the pride of lions by the river was whipped out completely today" said one female. "I know" said Moral. "I'm glad. They were a very hostile pride. I always hated my encounters with their leader..."

Moral was the leader of the Marsh Clan of Cheetahs. He had encountered nearly ever lion pride in the land. He felt a wave of peace take him over as the news had reached him, Saber was dead and the land was at peace...

Last edited by DarkLord999 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 am

The Brushland clan had recently opened its arms to a new, albeit non-hyena member. After Jali had left, Zanita and three other hyenas had gone to investigate an ostrich that was present in their territory, without a flock. When they had arrived, the ostrich was jumped, and pinned, the hyenas staying out of range of her powerful legs, and they had taken great pains to calm her, and convince her that she wasn't going to be eaten. This wasn't a lie, because she had hysterically cried out about a lost mate and egg. Zanita had been struck by pity for the creature, which was odd, as she had never chosen a mate, and never had cubs of her own. Regardless, the ostrich did not have a flock, and was completely alone. Now it was, without question, that the ostrich Unati had been permitted to live among the hyenas, with their protection. Although it seemed crazy, Unati was much older than any hyena in the Clan, and Zanita knew nothing of any lions of cheetahs that could live to be so old. The gigantic bird had proven to be interesting conversation for many hyenas, and they quickly began to enjoy her being there.

The only issue, however, was that there were many differences between hyenas and ostriches, both physically, and mentally. When some hyenas had hauled in an antelope carcass, Unati had been appalled. "Can't you just eat plants, like everything else? It's not that hard, there's plenty of edible things growing in the ground around you, just look and see-" Zanita had then chosen to cut her off, after seeing her disapproval, "We are predators, Unati. You are unique in that you are not a predator, yet live among a group of them." Unati's feathers had ruffled then, "Well, predator or not, surely you can still eat something other than other animals?" Zanita had only shaken her head. "Hyenas are carnivores, Unati. We cannot make exceptions for all creatures, like we do for you, and our teeth and bodies were not made for plants. See these claws and sharp teeth? They are tools of hunting, not pulling up plants." Unati had tried to protest, but Zanita stopped her, "I know it's hard to accept, you probably once ran alongside antelope, speaking with them, but if we showed mercy to all creatures, we would starve. Be grateful, because if it had been another clan's territory you stumbled upon, then you would have been like the antelope, because other hyenas will not give a second's thought to the words of an ostrich." This had made Unati close her beak, aware that she was trying too hard to change creatures that were doing what nature made them to do. They could not control how they were made.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 5:34 am

The Drought of Fate

Saber's death was a glorious one. It seemed as if the very moment he died, everyone was freed. As soon as Nara was slain, it became even more peaceful throughout the land. Scar, as she ran off into the woods, was never seen again...
Now the sun is setting. Jali sits upon a large rock on a hilltop overlooking the savannah. He gave out a roar. His father would have been so proud of him. Star's demise was one that was not done in vain. Jali lives on and has overcome the waters of death. He survived a thirty foot drop and being gnarled by crocodiles. Now he sits with peace in mind and ever so much thanks to the Brushland Clan for their help.

The tides of the rivers were low. There were very few clouds in the sky and the sun sat on top of the horizon line, beaming a hot red scarlet over the plains. Jali's blue eyes sparkled as he gave another roar. The wind blew in his mane which must have grown several inches since the defeat of River Pride.
He looked to his right at Sira. She gave him a smile mixed with some confusion. Gently she licked his ear and laid her head on his shoulder. "What's wrong with the river?" she asked. "Where's all of the water?"

"I don't know" said Jali. "It hasn't rained in a few weeks... I'm sure it will all be fine. It will probably rain soon."
Sira sighed. She was exhausted from the tragedies that had befallen the clan only a few weeks ago. The death of their beloved leader Star still had a grave impact on the pride and Jali was never the same again.
Sira felt a craving for children. She had been inspired only a week or so ago by the miracle that had happened between two other pride members: Kal and Mira. Mira announced that she was carrying cubs and would give birth at a later time. It was also said that Kal was the father and the entire pride was in rejoice.
Sira felt as though her time to have children was near and if she waited, it would be too late. She had not announced her desire to her mate, Jali, yet. She didn't know how to tell him. These thoughts rustled in her head. She was confused to the core of her mind.

Just outside of Ridge Pride territory, another lion lied with three of his sons, two of which had gone out for a bite to eat. Snake was a scoundrel, an outlaw of all of the prides in the area. He was not much of a fighter, but more a thief. He would steal the food of other prides and hunt on their land. He considered all of Kenya his territor, he did what he wanted and whatever he pleased.

When news of Mira's great fortune reached Snake, he was greatly displeased. He had once been a member of Ridge Pride and had been Mira's old mate. He somehow believed that the child was his, for he was possessed with insanity. His oldest son, Var laid down next to him. They both had pure black manes and greenish eyes.
"So what's your plan father? March into Ridge Pride territory and state that the upcomming child is yours? Are you sure about that?" asked Var.
"Partly. I will go in there and state that, then I will demand that they accept me back into the pride. If they do not, I will kill Mira and her child..." said Snake, darkly.
"Are you so sure about that father? There's only four of us. The Ridge Pride has over eight males and twelve females."

"They wouldn't dare to harm us if I took Mira hostage, and Kal would break like a twig" Snake replied licking his paw. Var stared at his paws with confusion. "I see some problems" said Var.
"Like what?" Snake retorted. "They could find a way to contain you before you take her hostage, your not exactly hard to track, dad" Var said eyeing Snake's mangy mane. Snake stunk like dead meat, he would not be hard to find and capture.

"I'll clean myself off in the river."

"There is no river" said Var. "What?" Snake hissed looking at Var in the eye. "What do you mean, there is no river?" he asked. "The water is drying up, it's all turning to mud and dirt now" said Var. Snake stared down at the dirt in front of him and looked back at the direction in which Ridge Pride was located. He returned his glance to Var. "There's no watering holes nearby?"
"All of them are inside of the Ridge Pride camp" said Var. "We'd never make it without being caught..." Snake felt disappointed. He kept staring right at Var.

"Besides father, I think this whole thing is a little... well, ridiculous" said Var. Snake growled and stood up. Var sat up in case of anything sudden. Snake gave a quick scratch to Var's face and the elder son growled.

"Ridiculous is it? That child is mine! Your brother or sister! Do you want it to be raised as an animal for the rest of its life? Do you want it to sleep in the mud with the rest of those Ridge Pride fools? No! This is a rescue mission, not an invasion!" Snake growled. Var felt a pang of shame hit him square in the chest. He felt the need to take his father's word but another part of him said that this was wrong. "Go and find your brothers... Bring them to me..." Snake said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kal and Mira laid down below a large tree whose limbs shaded them. They sat grooming each other. Mira's stomach had fattened. Sira approached them and smiled. "Congradulations" she said tilting her head to the side.

"Thank you, Sira" Mira said with a smile in return. "Your welcome. Your both so lucky" she replied. Sira's beautiful green eyes blinked passionately. Mira and Kal both smiled back. She walked down the camp and laid down in the bushes. Jali's brother Taru sat on a rock a few meters away from her. He laid down on his stomach and his chin laying on the rock. His tail swung around; he must have been bored.

"Hello Sira" he said. Sira smiled back. "Hello Taru" she replied. Taru glanced to his right at the sunset and back at the female.

"How's Jali been doing? I haven't been able to speak to him lately" asked Taru.

"He's doing fine" Sira said. Sira glanced once more at Kal and Mira sitting under the tree and sighed. Taru noticed and new exactly what she was thinking. "You want cubs now too don't you?"
Sira glanced back at him and nodded. "I don't know how to tell him" she said. "I don't even think he wants children."

"I'm sure he'd understand, but knowing my brother... He's not a big fan of having children. He's even told me before that he doesn't want them because when something would happen to them, he'd be heartbroken for the rest of his life. However, Jali loves cubs, I've seen him play with some of the children."
"Well, that's a little understandable" said Sira.
"Do you want me to tell him?" asked Taru.
"No, no, I'm fine. I can do it" Sira replied. "Alright" Taru said. Jali approached and walked past. He gave a greeting nod to Taru and a smile to Sira. She got up and followed him into their large cave carved in the top of the hill. They walked up the large soil path that went up the hill. They then entered the mouth of the cave and were inside and alone. This was the den of Star, but after his death it became Jali's.
"So, how was your day?" asked Jali as he drank from a small pond of water that was isolated inside of the cave. "Oh, my day was fine. Yours?" she asked.
"Fine" said Jali. He continued to drink. Sira sat quietly, her mind in despair. She finally sucked up all of the courage in her body and spoke. "Jali, there's something I need to talk to you about..." she said. Jali quit drinking and turned to her. He licked his wet lips and his bluish eyes began to gaze upon her. "Yes?" he asked.
She didn't know how to start, and almost regretted speaking. But it was too late, she had to finish. "I, I've been thinking lately... It's just a thought I've been having..."
"Yes, Sira?" he asked in confusion. "Well, it's just that," she started again but fell silent. "Just what?" asked Jali.
"Jali, I... I want cubs" she said. Jali stood in silence for a moment. Being young and unexperienced in this sort of situation, he didn't know what to say. His answer could never be no, he loved Sira too much to ever deny a request from her. "Cubs..." he said.

"Yes" she said awkwardly. She could tell he didn't necessarily like the idea, but she awaited his words. He looked up at her. "When?" he asked.
"Now. I'm afraid that if I wait to have children, it will be too late" Sira said walking up to Jali. She licked the side of his face. "Taru told me you wouldn't like the idea" she said.

"It's not that I don't like cubs, I love them. It's just, I'm so afraid that I couldn't be responsible enough or raise them correctly..."

"Don't worry" said Sira, "You'd make a fine father." Jali smiled. "We can never be sure."
"Why not? We can find out," Sira started again and smiled. Jali looked back into her beautiful green eyes. "Can we?" she asked. Jali smiled and licked her ear. Then he looked back at her. "I'd love to" he finally said after a long pause. She smiled and almost giggled. And so a new family would be born.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 7:08 am

Zanita had been out wandering when out of the corner of her eye, she had seen a flash of tawny-orange fur that had seemed oddly familiar. Her ears pricked up, and she heard the tell-tale footfalls, and the strange growl that was reminiscent of a lion's, but had some other quality from a creature that was unfamiliar. Eventually, a clump of grass rustled, and the shape emerged. Zanita was shocked, but was still able to speak words, "Gamba?" She asked, hardly able to believe her eyes. Before her stood a large, intimidating big cat. He had an appearance like a lion, but was definitely not a true member of the species. His tawny fur had a bright orange tinge to it, and faded stripes covered it. His mane was not as large or long, and the fur was not the same, silky kind normally found in lions. His eyes were a bright amber, and glinted with a dangerous light that had never ceased to burn. In addition, he was far larger than any lion that existed in Kenya. "Zanita, is it truly you?" His appearance had not changed, but his voice had deepened, and now seemed to be between bass and baritone. It made him seem all the more fierce.

"Yes, it's me." Without really knowing why, she ran up to the Tiglon and touched her head to his shoulder, and he did the same. This counted as a hug among hyenas, and was especially important for him, because his ability to grip with his front legs was much greater than a lion's, it seemed, and he could probably crush anything smaller than him. "Gamba, it has been so long, how have you fared on your own?" Zanita asked, stepping back. "Not well, I'm sorry to say. Zanita, the prides I found refused to accept me, not the cheetahs, and especially not the lions. They called me an abomination, an unnatural thing. They refused to even refer to me by name. They are so cold to me." Zanita's ears dropped a little upon hearing this. "Do not be sad, Zanita!" Gamba cried, sudden anxiety whirling in his eyes. "How can I hear this, and not be sad?" She asked, "Though we are not related by blood, I raised you from the day you were born, until you were old enough to be on your own and find a pride. I am well enough qualified to say you are my son. How can I not be upset, when they say such horrible things to you?" The Tiglon nudged her shoulder with his snout, trying to reassure her, "Please, Zanita, do not cry. I came back. I want to find a pride, but I could not, so I will stay here, and help the Brushland Clan. I can hunt, I can kill things much larger than me."

Zanita dried the tears that came, before stepping away. "Did you try the Ridge Pride?" She asked. Gamba frowned, "There is another pride that I have not seen?" he asked. "Yes, Gamba, there is another pride, one that might accept you more readily than the others, and you'd be a day's journey from here." She said. "Why would they accept me?" Zanita sighed, "We haven't had contact in awhile, but the Ridge Pride is a friend of the Brushland Clan, and I once saved their prince's life, in return for him letting me scavenge carrion. He left when he heard that his father had been given a possibly fatal wound near his heart in battle. He may be king of the pride, when we next see him." Gamba's eyes seemed to glint with faint suspicion, "He may not help us." He said. Zanita nodded, "I am aware that if we ask him, it is a great favor, to accept a creature that is a hybrid, but Jali is a good lion, and he might understand."

Gamba nodded, "Very well, Zanita, I shall go ask the Ridge Pride." He said. Zanita stopped him when he started to walk away, "I am coming with you, Gamba. I will speak for you...Gamba, look at me." The Tiglon met her eyes, "Do not lose control on me, no matter how many triggers they may pose." He stared, before nodding, "Yes, Zanita."

After walking for a long time, Zanita arrived at the borders of Ridge Pride territory. She crossed it, with Gamba following close behind. "Gamba, do not speak unless spoken to, be respectful when addressing a king or prince, regardless if he rules over you or not, this is his territory, so we must abide by his rules." The tiglon said nothing, but seemed to fidget as the scent of the lions grew stronger. "Calm yourself," Zanita warned. They then reached the edge of the place where the pride was, and lions spotted them, first the large black hyena, and then the strange, abnormal creature that looked like a lion, but seemed to be related to something they had no name for. Zanita lowered her head and took a passive stance, while Gamba continued to fidget and glanced about the area. Most of the creatures in Kenya did not know what a tiger was, but often, upon hearing that he was a cross between one and a lion, they became hostile. Gamba was worried he was going to be attacked. He didn't want them to call him an abomination, as others had done.

"Please, do not be alarmed. I am here on peaceful terms. I am Zanita, leader of the Brushland Clan. I wish to speak to Jali, if I am allowed to do so." She said, never raising her head. She did not want these lions to hate her, and it was proper that even in one's own territory, a leader should show respect to other leaders.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Daru, the leader of the warriors, supposedly the chief of the pride's defenses met them with one other lion and three lionesses.

"It's been a long time Zanita. I've heard stories about you. King Jali is in his den, I'll go fetch him. Go ahead and move to the camp" he said and turned to leave. The other lions that had come with him began to lead the way to the center of the camp.

After walking up the hill, turning to another hill, and entering their den, Daru met with Sira and Jali that were smiling and giggling about their future ideas.

"King Jali, Zanita of the Brushland Clan of hyenas has arrived. She wishes to speak to you" said Daru. Jali was surprised to hear the news. He hadn't heard of Zanita in quite some time. He nodded and walked out from the den with Sira at his heals.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Zanita bowed her head, and Gamba, unsure what to do, copied her, when King Jali arrived. Zanita, aware that her adoptive son would obey her and remain silent, began to speak first. "Jali, it is a pleasure to see you again, and an honor to stand before your pride. How have you fared since we last met?" She asked. She was quite curious to see how things had been in his pride. The Brushland Clan was by far amongst the most isolated groups in Kenya. Word did not always travel to her clan like it should.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 5:16 am

"I am fine" said Jali. "Things are not as bright here in the Ridge Pride though. My father died the day we last saw each other. Luckily though we managed to kill the River Pride and their leader who was secretly killing any of our lionesses that left the camp. But I am happy now that it is all over and shall soon have my own cubs" he said giving a small glance to Sira standing next to him and then back at Zanita.

"And how are you? What brings you here?" he asked.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 9:55 pm

Zanita nodded, "I am glad to hear that you will soon have cubs of your own, because I came here to ask for assistance with a problem that can be related to the matter, in a way. This problem has a story, and I shall tell it to you. It is tragic, however, and forgive me if it drives me to tears to recall it." She took a breath and began, "A long time ago, humans from a distant land captured a powerful creature known as a tiger. The tiger was similar to the lion, but also much different, both mentally, and physically. A lion has fur that shimmers like gold, and walks with steady strides, but the tiger's fur blazes orange with black stripes, and barely contains its energy, every moment ready to strike. A tiger is never a king, for he does not live in a pride. However, he is the ruler of his own freedom, and defends it tooth and nail." She took another breath, "With this in mind, the tiger who was captured was angry, pacing the tiny prison in which he was locked away, preparing for the window of opportunity in which he would take back his freedom. Finally, the opportunity did come, and he escaped, but not back into the dark jungle from which he came, but into the wilds of Ethiopia. It was there, that he met a beautiful lioness, and the two fell in love."

Zanita's voice became slightly shaky at this, and it was easy to tell that this part of the story was painful, "The two, aware that the lioness' pride would not approve, hid their feelings, and for a time, were happy, until the day the humans came in search of the tiger. The tiger, with no choice but to flee, confessed his love for the lioness before her pride, and then began to run, diverting the attention away from the pride, but at the cost of his own life. The pride should have been grateful, for his final act was the ultimate sacrifice, but they were not. Instead, they scorned the lioness, for loving any creature other than another lion. They did not punish her any further, as the tiger was no longer alive, but they continued to shame her, and exclude her, never truly forgiving her, even though she was young."

A few tears came as she continued, "Then, matters were made worse, when they discovered that the lioness was carrying the tiger's cub. Enraged at this, they drove her from their territory, and sent three hunters to destroy her, before her cub could be born. With no other choice, she fled to Kenya, and later, encountered the Brushland Clan. It was then, sixty moons ago, that I served as the lioness' midwife, as she delivered a cub that was half lion, and half tiger. The cub was healthy and strong, and I urged her to take care of him, but the lioness refused. Though she loved the cub, she could not take him with her; for fear that the three hunters would slaughter them both. She fled, and did not even name the cub. It was then, that I took in the cub, and raised him, as my adopted son. When he was thirty-six moons old, and strong enough to live on his own, I urged him to find a pride to join, for he would live better among lions, than hyenas." Zanita took another, shaky breath. "He did as I told him to, but every pride he found rejected him, for his very birth was a crime, in their eyes. Now, I stand before you, because he has returned, and we have no options left."

Zanita nodded at Gamba, prompting him to step forward. She then turned to look back at Jali, “I present to you my son, Gamba. He is not a hyena, but regardless, I see him as my own.” Gamba, taking this as a cue to introduce himself, bowed his head respectfully, “I am pleased to meet you, sir.” He said, in his deep, raspy voice. When his head was bowed, his broad shoulders cast a shadow over his face. Despite this, his amber eyes glowed as though illuminated from within by a blazing fire.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Jali's face remained plain although he did not like the story and found it heartbreaking. "I see" he said as Zanita had finished and was greeted then by Gamba. "A pleasure to meet you, Gamba" Jali said looking into the tiglon's eyes.

"Any son of Zanita is a friend of mine" said Jali. "He is allowed to enter the pride... But I must warn you that even here there are a few lions that reject the idea and I cannot say that he will not be taunted at least once. But I will do my best to make sure he is treated as an equal" said the king.

"Gamba" Jali said looking back to Gamba. "I, as you know, am King Jali. This is my mate, Sira" he said gesturing with his snout to the lioness standing next to him. Her eyes were slightly watery from the story.

"If you have any troubles or need anything, come to us first" he said. "If we are not available you may go to my brother Taru."
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 pm

Gamba nodded slowly, in a manner reminiscent of a lion's, although the bright amber glow of his eyes danced like flames. "I will, sir." Zanita gave him a slight nod of approval. She then spoke again, "I cannot thank you enough, it means very much to me." Zanita then turned and walked up to Gamba, crossing her neck over his in a hug, "Serve them well, Gamba, make me proud." Gamba nodded slightly, "I will, I had a good teacher." Zanita then stepped away, and nodded to Jali, "I leave it to you, then. If you have any questions to ask me, feel free to visit the Brushland Clan, our borders are now open to the Ridge Pride." With this, Zanita turned around and padded away, out of sight.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Jali nodded as Zanita turned away and looked at Gamba. "Welcome to the pride" he said. "Let's find you a den" he added with a smile. As he turned Daru came up to him quickly and whispered so that Gamba could not hear.

"My king! You can't be serious? Are you really going to allow this? He's not a lion, he's not an animal! He's a monster disgraced by the spirits!" Daru whispered haughtily. Jali growled and pushed Daru with his flank violently.

"If I hear that from your tongue again, I'll have you banished from the pride!" he shouted. Daru quickly ran up the hill and was gone. Jali gestured with his snout for Gamba to follow the king.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Gamba nodded and followed Jali. Despite being greater in size than the lions, the tiglon still kept his head lowered to a degree, as though either in deep thought, or trying to conceal his face from view. In reality, he was doing both. He didn't hear what the one lion had said, but he had an idea, and was aware that the pride questioning his right to be among the lions had already begun. He would have to utilize every strength he had to overcome this, if he was ever to prove that he could be an asset. He would hunt gazelles long into the night, and even take down some of Kenya's most feared creatures, if that was what was demanded of him. I will prove myself to everyone, I am not an abomination, He thought to himself.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 pm

"Most of the camp is taken up" said Jali. "But I think we have some spots available over by the pond."

Jali aware that Gamba might have already felt dishonored here. He was going to make sure he got a fair share of everything and was treated as an equal. He knew that it wasn't Gamba's fault that he was different. If someone was to blame, it would have been his parents.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 am

"Very well, sir. Any den is a blessing, for I have spent many nights in rather unfavorable weather. It is an experience that I hope no one else must suffer." As he padded along, he could sense the eyes of various lions around him. Regardless of what they truly thought, it made Gamba feel somewhat defensive. He was sure that they meant harm, even though he knew that he might be jumping to conclusions. Strangely, he found himself comparing in his mind the difference between lions and hyenas. Among hyenas, females were typically dominant, but males were dominant among the lions. He also was vaguely aware of something Zanita had taught him long ago, regarding his rather small, ruff-like mane. His mane was small, which was quite laughable, however, he was still larger than a normal lion. Zanita had told him, that while a male lion's mane was a great source of pride, as well as considered a symbol of power, which made them look fierce in battle, it did nothing to enhance the lion's effectiveness in battle.

"Gamba, are you embarrassed by your mane?" She asked him. Gamba's tail flicked nervously, before he looked down at his paws, "Unfortunately, yes, Zanita." He answered. "Don't be ashamed, if anything, it is a good thing." The young Tiglon looked up questioningly "How?" Zanita sat back on her haunches, "Are you aware of the difference of size between the heart of a hyena, and the heart of a lion?" She asked. "The heart of a hyena is much larger than a lion's." Gamba said automatically. Zanita nodded, "Yes, exactly. This is why a hyena can outrun a lion, and endure a chase for far longer. Now, tell me, have I told you of the difference between a lion and a lioness?" She asked. Gamba's eyes took on a wondering look, "The lionesses do more hunting than the males." He said automatically. Zanita nodded again, "And do you know why?" She asked. Gamba thought, before shaking his head, "No, I do not."

Zanita sighed, "The lioness, in a way, is much more at an advantage than the male, even though she is smaller. The whole reason, is because she does not have a mane." Gamba's look was questioning. Zanita continued, "The mane is a symbol of power, the larger mane makes the lion look fierce and powerful. However, what other use is there for one? I tell you that there is no other purpose to a mane than simply ornamentation and appearances. A lion with a larger mane is probably the least likely to survive in battle." Gamba's tail flicked, "How is this?" He asked. The hyena replied, "A mane is a thick clump of fur around the neck and chest, places that give off heat. It would have been an asset in cold weather, but here, in the savannah, it is the lion's undoing. That fur traps the heat of the sun, and the heat the lion gives off while running or moving. This tires the lion, and he must rest, long before the lioness becomes weary. The mane also catches the wind, and makes the lion slower, it must push the ground harder to keep its speed, even if such things are not noticed by the lion. I tell you, though the male lion is dominant, it is his faithful lioness that possesses power, for she can go farther. Your mane may be small, but you will be grateful for it, in the end."

Gamba was aware that the lions might make fun of his small, odd-looking mane, however, this grain of knowledge his adoptive mother had given him made him feel much better. His stripes, larger size, and glowing amber eyes were plenty enough for intimidation. The lions might make fun of his smaller mane, but he would last longer in a hunt. He didn't have a huge clump of fur to wrestle with against the wind. It was enough to make him take pride in his tiny mane, as pitiful as it looked. It wouldn't hinder him.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 12:30 am

Jali lead Gamba up near the pond and gestured to a small clearing behind some trees and bushes. There was a few huge rocks stacked on top of each other in a strange cave formation back there as well. "Well, that's the best I can offer for now" Jali said.

Suddenly a lioness came up from the path to meet Jali. "Your highness, there's a problem by the creek!" she said. "I'll be back" Jali said and he and Sira followed the lioness down the path and to the creek.

When they arrived they saw little water and a lot of mud. The sun for some odd reason was very hot over here.

"Where's the water?" asked Jali.

"We don't know, there's only a little bit left. I think the sun is drying it up or the crocodiles have snapped a dam down by the river. Either way, we'll have to get water for the cubs to live on!"

Jali glanced at Sira at the mention of this. Luckily for him though, his own cubs were not yet in existance. "Send a patrol down to the river, by the old River Pride camp to see if those crocodiles have done anything. I'll have everyone on the lookout for rain" he said. The lioness nodded and went back to the bushes. He and Sira then walked back up the path and met once more with Gamba.

"Sorry about that. We're having a little issue with the creek. The water is drying up. The pond looks a little dry too..."
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 am

Gamba glanced over at the pond, looking namely at the very edge. The places that should have been damp mud were bone-dry, and he could tell from a distance. "It appears to be that way, there should be mud around the pond, but there is hardly any. The ground around the pond is parched, the soil itself has begun to crack, for want of water." In this moment, he easily sounded like the hyena who had raised him. He then seemed to lose his thoughtful look, "I would like to accompany the patrol to the river, if you will allow me to do so. I do not fear falling into the water that is left, and drowning. I was born with the ability to swim, and I have dealt with the creatures that live in the water before."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 1:27 am

"Very well" said Jali. "But I'm going to warn you first off, that river is no place to be goofing around on. Once you get there, be alert and be careful. Stay away from the edge of the shores and keep away from the large cliff overlooking everything. Sometimes rogue hyenas from the old River Clan will visit that extinct camp. We still haven't found that witch Scar. We figured she's still hiding around this place... Anyways, be careful and as another warning, there's dead bodies everywhere. Don't be surprised if you find something you wish you hadn't" he said giving Gamba a stern look.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 pm

For some reason, Jali's words seemed to be taken as a small insult, as a dark look passed over Gamba's features. Despite the offense taken, Gamba held his tongue. "I will be careful, sir, and do not worry about me seeing the dead. I have long ago learned that is easier to accept that the spirits have moved on from this world. I have seen worse." With this, he slowly walked away, towards the patrol. Although it was proof of his lack of fear of such things, his last words had been, "I have seen worse." One could not be sure what he had witnessed, but surely, something was terrible, if it could be considered more horrific than the corpses on a battlefield.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pride Days (IC): Hurt
Page 3 of 34Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next